I was asked by a friend the other day how I got out of my slump, and I realized that I have 15 main pointers that have made a huge difference in my life.
Here they are:
1. Define your goals and dreams & commit to them: Figure out what you want. For many people it’s a process of elimination, as generally we know what we DON’T want. In any case the important part is to figure out WHY you want what you want. So, for example, getting out of debt is important to you because you’ll have money for travel which will make you feel free. Write these things down, spend some time creating a mental picture of what your life will look like once you have achieved this goal, and really embed what it will FEEL like in your brain. When and if you lose motivation, you can come back to your list and your mental picture for a kick in the butt.
2. Reprogram your brain to see the positive: By filling your brain with uplifting and inspiring materials you will retrain it to look for the positive things in life. Make a conscious effort to avoid negativity, and change your thought patterns to positive ones.
3. Release negativity: JOURNAL! Get out all those nasty feelings, also, find a place and time where it’s safe for you to have a temper tantrum if needed- whether that’s crying or yelling, I find a secluded spot in my car is great for this.
4. Treat yourself kindly. Most of us are meaner to ourselves than we would ever think of being to people we care about. Don’t be too hard on yourself, give yourself permission to mess up, and forgive yourself easily.
5. Make room for play. Figure out what makes you ecstatic, and find time to do this more often. By giving yourself permission to spend time doing things that make you happy, you will be a more rounded person and be better when it comes time to get to work.
6. Meditate. This is essentially scheduling time to relax and live in the moment. Essential for learning more about yourself and getting grounded.
7. Learn to say no. There is only so many hours in the day, and everything you say YES to, takes away from something else you could be doing. Focus on the stuff that’s important to you and make sure you are doing these things often. Don’t spread yourself too thin doing stuff for other people, as you’re no good to them unless you’re taking care of yourself first.
8. Listen to your intuition. At all costs, listen to your intuition, it is leading you in the right direction.
9. Treat your body right. Get enough sleep, nutritious food, water, exercise. Sound simple, but everything will suffer if you’re not in good health.
10. Surround yourself with great people. You can create life on your terms, any relationships you have that don’t fit with your life aren’t doing you any good, so modify or release them.
11. Build your self confidence. Make a list of all your accomplishments, and reread it often and when you’re feeling less than adequate.
12. Help people. Studies have shown that the only time you can be truly miserable is when you’re thinking about yourself, and that helping people actually makes the HELPER happier than the person on the receiving end. Find a way to give back and do it.
13. Learn from other’s mistakes. Take advice from successful people, whether it’s reading their biography, blog or asking them directly, you may as well listen to those who have been there, done that. Not only will their stories inspire you, but you will be able to learn from their mistakes.
14. Be grateful. This is part of reprogramming your brain. Be grateful for what you have, not what you don’t. The biggest factor determining happiness in your life is how you FEEL about it, not your circumstances.
15. Designate an Ass Kicker. Find someone who has utmost faith in you to kick your ass when you need it.
More will follow to give you details on each point, but hopefully this is a good place to start 🙂
Hope it helps!